2000/Bind and General Questions

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Tue Sep 17 17:06:56 UTC 2002

"Smith, John" <john.smith at minolta-qms.com> wrote in message
news:am7ie0$fkip$1 at isrv4.isc.org...
> All,
>
> I have noticed what I feel is 'strange' behavior in the resolver and
> wanted to ask if the behavior is normal and I just missed something in the
> docs and searching through the list archives.  (My apologies if I missed
the
> answer in either.)  We were setting up a Bind server on a Windows 2000
> platform and noticed that clients could resolve names and addresses
> properly, but the server itself could not.  After digging a little further
> (and moving resolv.conf to the correct directory -
> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc) things starting working much better except
> for a nuance.  (I am using test.net as an example.)  Following was my
> original resolv.conf:
>
> search test.net sz.test.net
> server 1.2.3.4
> server 5.6.7.8
> server 1.2.3.5
>
> Server 1.2.3.4 is the 2000 Bind server and it is authoritative for
> the test.net zone.  Sz.test.net is delegated to servers 5.6.7.8 (primary)
> and 1.2.3.5 (secondary).
>
> The behavior: Server 1.2.3.4 (authoritative for test.net) could
> resolve systems in its domain (test.net) but it could not in subzone
> sz.test.net.

The first server listed is not authoritive for the query you are making.  Do
you have it configured to do recursion?  Is the subdomain - for which it is
not authoritive - properly delegated?

>  I then changed the search order in resolv.conf to the
> following:
>
> search sz.test.net test.net
>
> At this point everything resolved properly, although now it takes
> the server an additional query to resolve anything in its domain
(test.net).

> Just for grins I set up a Bind server with the same configuration on
> a RH Linux box and saw the same results.
>
> My question is simply do I have something wrong in my configuration
> files or is this normal behavior?

You didn't post your configuration files, so any answer you would get is a
guess.  I made one above.

  And if it is normal behavior does anyone