Internal root server question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Sep 14 01:57:04 UTC 2002

"Cinense, Mark" wrote:

> Can someone out there tell me if I created an internal root server, can it
> also act as the TLD server?  I was reading page 336 on the 4th Edition of
> DNS and Bind, the internal roots section.  I was thinking if I made my TLD
> server a root server also, I can get rid of my forward statements in my
> named.conf file.

Why are the forward statements there in the first place? Because you want to
resolve Internet names in addition to names in your private TLD? A private
root zone is generally incompatible with Internet name resolution. The only
exception would be if you had some way to replicate the Internet root zone to
your servers. Since the Internet root servers don't allow zone transfers to
arbitrary nodes, this tends to be problematic.

On the other hand, if you're talking about a purely internal namespace, I'm a
little confused why you were forwarding in the first place. If you control
the root zone and all nameservers are either authoritative for the root zone
or have your root servers in their hints files, they should all be able to
resolve any name in your private namespace via iterative resolution (i.e.
without forwarding), if everything is delegated properly and you have no
connectivity issues.

- Kevin