cleaning named file

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 13 15:45:59 UTC 2002

Barry Finkel wrote:

> At 05:22 PM 9/12/02, Dean Carrera wrote:
>
> >>does anyone know how to clean carriage returns from a file using vi? =20
> Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net> replied:
>
> >Why? This has nothing to do with BIND.
>
> It does if, for example.......

It is still a DOS to Unix issue not a BIND one.

Of course Solaris has dos2unix which removes ASCII characters
015 and 032 (in Octal) from relevant places, so Barry doesn't
need vi for this.

I pipe files through "tr -d '\15\32'" when I have no better tool
to hand, I don't think these characters should occur in Unix
text files, except perhaps printer drivers, although I guess
they are probably allowed in DNS records in these liberal 8 bit
days ;)