nslookup error message

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Sep 13 00:46:48 UTC 2002

At 06:48 PM 9/12/02, Dean Carrera wrote:

>whenever I do an nslookup I receive the following error.  Any ideas....  =
>

>Can't find server name for address 127.0.0.1: Unspecified error
>*** Default servers are not available

You don't have a nameserver set up to handle the reverse addess for
127.0.0.1. You need a 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa zone on your nameserver.
This is one of the major reasons for not using nslookup since it's
trying to get the name of the server that you are using rather than trying
to answer your query.  Use dig.

Danny