Setup of BIND and Windows 2000 AD servers?

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Sep 12 12:48:49 UTC 2002

cader at speakeasy.net (Cader) wrote:

>I am trying to merge our Unix based BIND server and a Windows 2000 AD
>DNS server together so our information is complete and have a couple
>questions that I haven't found answered anywhere.
>
>What we have and want to do is just like the MS KB article Q255913.
>In this article it talks about having an AD domain that is the same
>name as your main DNS domain and how to delegate the _udp, _tcp,
>_sites, and _msdcs subdomains to the Windows 2000 server and keep the
>main DNS domain on a BIND server and not allow dynamic updates to the
>main zone.
>
>I have setup the delegation and need our NT guys to setup the "_"
>domains but before they do I had a couple questions for people who
>have done this.
>
>What are the DNS settings on the Windows 2000 DC's?  Do they look to
>them selves for dns or to the unix BIND server?
>
>I am guessing that they also have to setup a slave zone for the main
>zone?
>
>Do clients have to look to a specific DNS server?  I would prefer them
>to look to the BIND server rather than the Win2000 server.
>
>If anyone has any more info for the NT side of the setup and can let
>me know that would be great.

The DNS settings on any windows PC that is a Domain Controller (with
or without the DNS Service running) should be the same as any other
W2k PC.  What we have here is the "_" zones mastered on a W2k DNS
Server and slaved on all our BIND servers.  All of our client
machines - Unix, PC, or Mac - point to the BIND servers for DNS
services.  No machine has the W2k DNS server in its TCP/IP
configuration.  As I mentioned in a posting yesterday, you might have
zone transfer problems between the W2k master and the BIND slaves,
depending on how you configure zone transfer properties for each zone.
And I would ask your MS support person for the latest dns.exe (build
6014), which includes at least two fixes not in SP3.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov