Integrating BIND with Active Directory

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Sep 11 14:23:47 UTC 2002

"Michael Buchardt" <jumihen at image.dk> replied to a post:

Ron Hall <thorn at cc.mcgill.ca> replied:

>        I would REALLY like to see them, especially if the Bind 9.2
>        server is the primary for your domain, but acts as a secondary
>        for the AD.
>
>        In any case I would still like to seethem :)

I do not see what is so complicated.  In the example.com zone on
the BIND master server, add these four lines:

     _msdcs          IN      NS      w2kdns.example.com.
     _sites          IN      NS      w2kdns.example.com.
     _tcp            IN      NS      w2kdns.example.com.
     _udp            IN      NS      w2kdns.example.com.

These delegate the four "_" zones to the W2k DNS server.
In the four zones

     _msdcs.example.com
     _sites.example.com
     _tcp.example.com
     _udp.example.com

on the W2k DNS server (w2kdns.example.com) list the BIND server as a
slave for each of the four "_" zones.  Depending upon how you configure
zone transfers on the W2k DNS, you might have zone transfer problems.
I believe this has been posted previously; check the list archives.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov