Bind ?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 10:00:27 UTC 2002

Thomas wrote:

> Simon Waters <Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<aliit8$1vjk$1 at isrv4.isc.org>...
> > Thomas wrote:
> > >
> > > I want it to work like the etc/hosts file with out the .testlinux.  Is
> > > there an easier way?  Could the etc/hosts file on the DNS server
> > > resolve local internal addresses for other PC's?  There must be
> > > something I'm missing.
> >
> > Add;
> > search testlinux
> > /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > See man resolv.conf (although some Linux distros have old
> > resolv.conf manual pages they should still cover this).
>
> This still doesn't resolve local host.  I checked the nsswitch.conf,
> host.conf and the resolv.conf all looks ok.  Is it possible to setup
> local addresses in the /etc/hosts file on the server and have it
> resolve on the client PC's?  I thought the /etc/hosts file was for the
> local PC only.   I don't get it because everything else is woking.

I think you are confused about what is server and what is
client.

In the DNS config you describe only "test.testlinux" exists, no
host "test" exists.

The clients be they Windows or Linux must put "testlinux" on the
end of "test" if you don't do it type it in when entering the
URL.

To make a Linux/Unix client do that you add the domains to try
to the searchlist in /etc/resolv.conf, different Windows
versions have different places in the TCP/IP dialogue to do
this.

Some *nix systems must be told to use DNS (ala /etc/resolv.conf)
in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

/etc/host is local yes.