Cannot reverse lookup only some name, others can?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 9 23:50:35 UTC 2002

Joe wrote:

> Ok, this is a weird one. I cannot reverse lookup this ip address
> 146.27.122.21 .Neither can quite a few public dns servers, but then
> some can. I can't look it up, but saturn.ball.com can. I am running
> Bind on freebsd. This is the only host I am having problems with. Any
> thoughts?

The ARIN servers for 146.in-addr.arpa delegate 27.146.in-addr.arpa to
bocfg3.chevrontexaco.com and bocfg3.chevrontexaco.com, but the
nameservers themselves publish the *non-existent* names
bocgf3.chevrontexaco.com and bocgf4.chevrontexaco.com as being
authoritative for the zone. Looks like a typo of some sort. So, the only
time the reverse record resolves is the first time it is queried, with
no auth data in cache, or from a nameserver that doesn't observe the RFC
2181 data-ranking rules (which specify that authority data from an
authoritative server should overwrite referral data).

- Kevin