Can I use a registered name on a DMZ machine?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 9 23:00:40 UTC 2002

p2000j at yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi!
>
>  I've been running the latest version of BIND and have several
> internet names
> working with apache working fine, all pointing to 1 static IP address,
> of which all virtual servers run from the same machine. I want to give
> my second machine
> a specific name and have it be the internet http server for that name
> to the world. I can't get it to work in my zone file. Is this
> possible? (And Without Changing the server port number from 80 -->
> somethiong else?). If so, what do I place in my ZONE file to make it
> accessible even though it has the ip number of 192.168.0.10?  Do I
> Have to Have a Second Non-DMZ IP address? If I should post my zone
> file just tell me and I'll show..

This isn't really a DNS question. 192.168/16 addresses are not supposed
to be routable over the Internet; see RFC 1918. You're going to have to
get another public address or use a different port number. If you decide
to get another public address, just add it to your zone file as an A
record separate from your existing one.

- Kevin