Bind and AD

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 9 22:47:33 UTC 2002

Ron Hall wrote:

>         Howdy
>
>         We are the gTLD for McGill.CA (I hope that's the right jargon).

Mmmm.... Not really. I assume you mean you run the delegated nameservers --
or at least the master -- for mcgill.ca...

>         We have several new sub-zones that we are acting as secondary
>         for.
>
>         What do I need to add to the conf stanza so that Dynamic updates
>         that end up on my normally primary DNS servers are "forwarded"
>         to the AD primary?

Any Dynamic Update client should be looking at the MNAME field of the
zone's SOA record, and its NS records, to determine where to send Dynamic
Updates. So as long as those are correct, your slaves shouldn't be getting
any Dynamic Update requests for the delegated zones.

If you're running BIND 9, you could also enable update forwarding so that
even wayward Dynamic Updates will end up in the right place (don't try this
with BIND 8, however; update forwarding is quite broken in that version).

- Kevin