Resolver library question

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Sep 5 05:40:38 UTC 2002

> On Solaris 2.6 I am running BIND 9.1.3, compiled with gcc (2.7.x I
> think, but not sure) using the provided BIND make files. Recently CERT
> published a vulnerability in the resolver library that Solaris uses.
> Question: Is our BIND vulnerable, and if so, is it using the libraries
> provided with Solaris or something that came with gcc? I'm trying to
> understand whether or not applying the Solaris patch will fix the
> vulnerability on my systems. And if not, exactly what I have to do to
> fix it.
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck Sterling

	Did you bother to read the advisary?  It answers your questions.

	Mark

All versions of BIND 4 from 4.8.1 prior to BIND 4.9.9 are vulnerable.
All versions of BIND 8 prior to BIND 8.2.6 are vulnerable.
All versions of BIND 8.3.x prior to BIND 8.3.3 are vulnerable.
BIND versions BIND 9.2.0 and BIND 9.2.1 are vulnerable.

The status of BIND 4.8 is unknown, assume that it is vulnerable.

BIND versions BIND 9.0.x and BIND 9.1.x are not vulnerable.

'named' itself is not vulnerable.

Updated releases can be found at:
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/4.9.9/
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.2.6/
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.3.3/
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/contrib/ntbind-8.3.3/

BIND 9 contains a copy of the BIND 8.3.x resolver library (lib/bind).
This will be updated with the next BIND 9 releases (9.2.2/9.3.0)
in the meantime please use the original in BIND 8.3.3.

Vendors wishing additional patches should contact bind-bugs at isc.org.
Query about BIND 4 and BIND 8 should be addressed to bind-bugs at isc.org.
Query about BIND 9 should be addressed to bind9-bugs at isc.org.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org