Return a default record for invalid requests (non existent domain).

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Sep 5 00:09:17 UTC 2002

> Robert Messinger wrote:
>
> > I have had many people throw their NS records on our DNS servers.
> > Just to either park them or to kill off old links and requests.
> >
> > But since the domains do not exist on my nameserver they are
> > getting slammed my these invalid requests (and I don't believe
> > the negative response is cached since the domain does not exist).
> >
> > In BIND is it possible to return a default record for domains which
> > do not exist on the system?  Is it even legal to give back an
> > answer?  (I feel like sending everyone to a porn site or something.)
> > It's bandwidth to our systems so I believe I can return whatever I want
> > but I may be wrong here.  But there are over 500,000 invalid requests
> > a day for some domains.
>
> My opinion is: if someone points an NS to my nameserver, they are giving
> me authority to return whatever I want for queries in that domain.
>
> I don't know if the law agrees with me on this, though. I suspect that
> there is a conspicuous lack of legal precedent in this area. Do you feel
lucky?

> - Kevin

	Well registrars *should* be checking before changing NS
	records that the organization hosting the new nameservers
	approves of the change.  Make sure you havn't given blanket
	approval in the past.

	You should complain the the registrar that approved the change
	without first verifying the change was valid.  You should get
	them to remove the offending NS records.

	Note: it might take a law-suit or two before they all get
	the idea that blindly changing NS records to point to third
	party servers is wrong.  It would be nice to think that one
	wouldn't have to go down that path but I expect that it
	will need a test case given history.  Before going down
	this path be 100% sure that it is not your own screw up and
	consult a lawyer.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org