Why doesn't bind query the second DNS?

Leonard den Ottolander leonardjo at hetnet.nl
Sun Sep 1 11:10:14 UTC 2002

Hi folks,

 Thanks a lot for your answers.
 No, I am not in any way responsible for these DNS's. The question was just
out of curiosity.

> > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> > www.linux-easy.com.     12000   IN      CNAME   linux-easy.com.
> > linux-easy.com.         12000   IN      A       64.239.85.40
> > www.linux-easy.com.     12000   IN      A       64.239.85.40
> >
> > ;; Query time: 561 msec
> > ;; SERVER: 61.220.123.84#53(dns2.yoho.com)
> > ;; WHEN: Sat Aug 31 18:21:36 2002
> > ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 146
>
>  Well it would help if the above was a LEGAL answer to the
>  question.  The nameserver is returning a CNAME and a A
>  record.  This is illegal.

 This is good to know. Guess I should read up on this a little bit. Any
suggestions (books, online resources)?
 I feel a bit silly that I oversaw the fact that the two yoho.com DNS's are
actually the same machine. It definitely explains why no servers could be
reached. Next time I'll look a little closer before asking. It's just that
lately I had some trouble with the resolving of another name. This problem
(almost totally) dissappeared after upgrading from bind-8 to bind-9. Not sure
if that is coincidence. If I encounter that problem again I might bother you
with some more output :).

Thanks again,
Leonard.