Need help with Install

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sun Sep 1 01:19:42 UTC 2002

    Todd> I have recently downloaded BIND 9.2 from the ISC site.  I am
    Todd> trying to install it under a RedHat 7.3 system (I did not
    Todd> want to go the RPM route because I want to get more familiar
    Todd> with installing from the source code).  I was able to build
    Todd> it and install it using make.  However I noticed that a
    Todd> named.conf file was not part of the installation nor were
    Todd> their any files that pointed to the root servers.  Am I
    Todd> doing something wrong in the install?

No. Think about this for a moment. It's up to you, not ISC, how your
name server is configured. How could ISC -- or anyone else for that
matter -- possibly know in advance what sort of named.conf file would
be correct for everyone who downloads the source code?

    Todd> where I can get these files?

You need to create a named.conf for your name server yourself. BIND9
has a list of the Internet root servers already compiled-in though you
can get a copy of the root hints file at
	ftp://rs.internic.net/domain/named.root

I suggest you check the BIND-users mailing list archives at
www.isc.org before your next posting. You might well find the question
has been asked and answered many times already. A search of the
archives could save you some time. A search on google for "sample DNS
configuration files" or "How to configure a name server" would likely
point you at other sources of helpful information.