Inverse Relolution ! ! !

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Oct 30 19:59:44 UTC 2002

"Lu!s Croker" wrote:

>    Hi...  We have bought a Class B, and I have to create differents
> kinds of resolutions (inverse), Its gonna be hard if I try to do it
> manually. I would like to know if exists any tool to do this, I mean, to
> create each file for each network.... Any Ideas ?

Are you going to be using all 256 /24's immediately? If not, then you could
just set up x.x.in-addr.arpa and delegate out the various
x.x.x.in-addr.arpa's as you need them.

If you want to create all of the zone definitions ahead of time, it would
be a fairly trivial script. e.g.

#!/usr/bin/perl

# Create the 0.x.x.in-addr.arpa zone file and zone definition prior to
running the script.
# Make sure you're in the zonefile directory when you run it
# Append the output of the script to your named.conf file and then restart
or reconfig+reload

for ($i = 1; $i <= 255; $i++) {
    print <<ZONE
zone "$i.x.x.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "$i.x.x.in-addr.arpa";
};

ZONE
    system("cp 0.x.x.in-addr.arpa $i.x.x.in-addr.arpa");
}

- Kevin