CNAME and other data?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 29 00:55:12 UTC 2002

Mark Damrose wrote:

> "Kevin Darcy" <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message
> news:apkf5p$1bio$1 at isrv4.isc.org...
>

> > Are you sure the bogus answer came from cache? Sometimes BIND 8 "passes
> > through" answers from authoritative servers (or forwarders) without much
> in the
> > way of cleanup...
>
> Well, I can see a progression of data.
> Query for ns.rlgsc.com, get the A record with the NS records for .com in the
> authority section.
> Query for rlgsc.com, get the A record for the zone apex with the NS records
> from the child domain.
> Query for ns.rlgsc.com again and get both A and CNAME.
> Query for ns.rlgsc.com again and get both A and CNAME and TTL decrements.

Hmmm... Looks like it is coming from the cache. Moreover, ns1.speakeasy.net
seems to be some sort of load-balanced cluster -- I'm seeing the TTL values
alternate between greatly different values on successive queries. Maybe one of
the nodes in the cluster isn't actually BIND 8.3.3, but may have been fudged to
say so in order for the answer to the version query to be consistent (???)

- Kevin