Forward zone and load-balancer

Alain Morency morencyalain at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 24 23:54:51 UTC 2002

Hi,

I have load-balancers equipments that handles DNS queries for
certain host to load-balance between multiple servers for redundancy.
These load-balancers are in the intranet behind a firewall.

Because i don't want all DNS servers on the internet to query my
load-balancers, i put a rule in my firewall to accept only DNS query from my
ISP's DNS (DNS1). DNS1 is authoritative for mydomain.com
Unfortunatly, i don't have any access on DNS1 configuration.

I told them to add a forward zone like in following example.
200.210.220.230 and 200.210.240.230 are the load-balancers' addresses.

zone "www.mydomain.com" in
      {
           type forward;
           forwarders {200.210.220.230; 200.210.240.230; };
           forward only;
      };

  The problem is, i see no query coming from DNS1 on the firewall.
  I used the same configuration in my lab with Bind 8.2.4 as DNS1
  and it worked.

  What is wrong ?

  Thank you,

  Allan