BIND9 and Firewall on same system with dns update errors.

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 19 20:34:57 UTC 2002

Mohit Aurora wrote:

> My exact concern is that why the secondary DNS is not geting updated
> with two contradicting error messages,

DNS updates are sent to the primary DNS for a zone unless
instructed otherwise (primary is defined in SOA record).

> and why other machines which
> are merely a client and some of them dont even have an entry in zone
> files are trying to update the server.

W2K does that until you tell it not to update the DNS, a stupid
Microsoft default designed to make life easier for the clueless.
Either fix your W2K machines settings, or ignore the update
errors.