nameserver ip

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Oct 11 23:53:22 UTC 2002

Gerald Waugh wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I want to change the IP address of one of my (slave) nameservers.
> AFAIK all the domains using this nameserver are keyed to the fqdn, not th=
> e ip=20
> address.
> So if I change the IP address and keep both addresses (old, new) active f=
> or=20
> two or three days I can remove the service on the old ip

Is the name of the slave nameserver in any zone that it serves? If so, then
you must have a glue A record in the *parent* zone (possibly a gTLD or
ccTLD zone) that will need to be changed, in addition to the A record in the
zone itself. You may have to go through your registrar to get the glue record
changed.

- Kevin