can nslookup but not ping

David Busby busby at pnts.com
Fri Oct 11 21:47:13 UTC 2002

Cate,
	You question is off topic for this forum but here is a response anyways:

# nslookup [fqdn]

Note the IP address that is returned by nslookup
Make sure your W2K box has that IP address configured on the correct
network interface, make sure that network interface has a physical
connection to the internet.

Notes:
Are you using the W2K machine as a DNS server?  You should setup a
scheduled task to stop and restart that service about every two weeks,
seems to be some odd bug that performance degrades, no MS bug tho ;)

nslookup only tells you what IP address(es) a name resolves to, does not
guarntee that any machine is at that address, only that a mapping exists
in the DNS for that name to address(es).

ping won't always work, some sysadmins turn off ICMP ECHO replys from
their server so that a ping will always fail, you'd have to try to
connect to an open service to see if it's really there.  The possiblilty
of doing this on Windows is limited

I hope you're not putting this machine on the internet, IMHO securing
Windows is tougher that securing *NIX (cause you can't "tweak" as much).
  If you are you should learn how to secure it, fast.  Also, use the
Windows Update (crap) and make sure you have the latest security updates
otherwise you'll be owned in a few minutes.

The problem here seems to be the Windows box, not DNS.  Look for a
newsgroup like comp.os.windows, or comp.os.unsecure, or comp.os.crap for
Windows postings/help

/B