slave to slave zone transfers HOWTO?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Oct 11 19:20:58 UTC 2002

Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>>> Please tell me how do i do slave to slave zone transfers ?
>>
>> Configure one slave with the address of the other as its master.
>
> Wouldn't it also help to put an "also-notify" with the sub-slave's IP
> address, in the zone information for the super-slave?  [I am assuming
> you understand my non-standard terms.]

Slaves send NOTIFYs to all authoritative name servers except the one
in the MNAME field by default.  To really tune your NOTIFY setup,
you could set the "superslave" to use "notify explicit" and send NOTIFY
messages only to the "subslave."  Then you'd set "notify no" on all slaves
that weren't themselves masters.

This is, by the way, in the cookbook.  ;-)

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, now available!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/