shadow namespace?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Oct 9 15:41:58 UTC 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 06:36:40AM -0700, no one wrote:
> from what I gather its a smaller version of an
> internal namespace. basically what I want to do is use
> the same namespace on the public and private portions
> of my network the public being typical mail, www...etc
> and internal being other various file/print and
> internal email systems.

OK, makes sense.  I may even have heard the term before, just having a
middle-aged moment.  ;-]

One way to do this is with two separate views, each containing a
different version of the zone.  You would, perhaps, have all shared IP
addresses in a separate file that is $INCLUDEd into both.  Any IP
addresses that are only in one or the other might be in a separate
$INCLUDE file, or in the zone file directly.

Part of the trick would be remembering to update serial numbers in the
appropriate SOAs when changes are made to the $INCLUDE files.

Views require BIND 9, which is a "good idea[tm]" anyway.

Another way is to keep them on separate external and internal name
servers, and manually or semi-automatically (by copying $INCLUDE files,
e.g.) updating them separately.

Hope this helps.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao