Command for delete records A and PTR

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Tue Oct 8 19:25:17 UTC 2002

> I'need to clean from db.forward and db.reverse (into BIND 8.2.3.) more old
records
> that was assigned from some DHCP-server that are down.
> I need to know if possible to delete a specified record both db.forward
and
> db.reverse by a unknow command for BIND 8.2.3 ad later.
> Can you help me ?

There's no command to do specifically this in BIND, but you could
do it with nsupdate, for example.  Say you wanted to delete A records
for www.foo.example:

$ nsupdate
> update delete www.foo.example. A
> send

And then you wanted to delete PTR records for 1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa:

> update delete 1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. A
> send

This assumes, of course, that your name servers permit you to
update the foo.example and 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa zones from
wherever you run nsupdate.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/