9.2.1 odd lookup problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Oct 4 23:50:09 UTC 2002

"Kimo R." wrote:

> Running BIND 9.2.1 on FreeBSD 4.6.2. Sometimes when browsing the
> internet from my win98 computer, I'll go to a site (www.hp.com for
> example) and I get sent to my web server. Or when I'm searching
> google. I'll get a 404 error from my web server. And on my web server
> logs it will show that my win98 requested google.com/post/what/ever.
> Any ideas?

This may or may not be the fault of DNS. Try doing a "dig" on the name
when the problem occurs, and see what result you get back. If the result
is not the address of your webserver, then the problem is most likely in
your browser, in a proxy (if you use one), a firewall (if you use
one) or something like that. If the address is the address of your web
server, then this bears some more examination. You'd need to explain how
your nameserver is configured to resolve external names, and also what
internal zones may contain the address of your webserver. Do you by any
chance have a wildcard ("*") entry in any of your zones? That may be a
contributing factor.

- Kevin