Help! BIND dies every hour leaving a Zombie.

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Fri Oct 4 08:22:10 UTC 2002

On 3 Oct 2002, Martin Glaude wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm running BIND 9.2.1 on a Redhat 7.2 server.  I didn't personally
> setup the server (it's a Dedicated Hosting service), but I did build
> and install BIND from scratch.  It lives in a chroot jail.
>
> BIND runs just peachy, except that it dies almost exactly every hour,
> leaving behind a zombie:

I would suggest running named in the foreground. You might be able to see
more useful error messages. Also, you could try truss'ing the process when
you think it's going to die. Just make sure you have lots of disk space
for the truss output if it's a busy server. :)

You could also bump the named debug level up, and log that.... but in my
experience the steps above provide a lot of useful information.

Good luck,

Doug

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?