Buffer underrun? New exploit? Or did my server just crash?

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Fri Oct 4 07:48:14 UTC 2002

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Vasiliy Boulytchev wrote:

> Also, just for the record, I've upgraded the server with more ram, but
> as of the upgrade (i think), I've been getting a memory leak, and I'm
> 100 percent positive its comming from named, because if I keep the
> service down, syslog is fine, but as soon as I turnit on, hell breaks
> loose.  Any suggestions?

How busy is this resolver, and how much ram is in the box?  I have busy
bind 8 resolvers whose named processes are consistently over 450 megs.
bind 9 will use even more ram. There is no substitute for enough ram in a
busy name server.

Also, RUN, do not walk to your nearest computer book store and buy "DNS
and BIND, 4th Edition." Then read it of course...

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?