win2k sometimes not resolving names from bind server

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 30 11:27:41 UTC 2002

mb0 wrote:

> We also have two active directory w2k servers with the domain
>
> clc.engr.xyz.edu

With the domain ? - in the domain - serving the DNS for with
{BIND|Microsoft DNS} but "with the domain" is too vague.

> When the windows workstation machines boot they get thier info via
> DHCP and use
> the two w2k machines as dns.

Okay so probably you meant running serving. Since these machines
are the only DNS servers allocated to clients any problems you
have sound like a bug or misconfiguration in the DNS service on
these W2K servers.

> Once in a while the windows servers will stop resolving any names from
> the engr.xyz.edu subdomain. Configuring nslookup to use the bind9
> server (either the xyz.edu or the engr.xzy.edu) works just fine.
>
> Heres the really odd thing, once we clear the DNS cache on the windows
> 2000 server it then starts resolving the names from engr.xzy.edu
> (bind9.2) server.
>
> Any ideas?

Use "dig" not "nslookup" to troubleshoot DNS resolution
problems.

Sounds like you are using W2K DNS server and your problems are
nothing to do with BIND.

I assume you have multiple servers for the engr.xyz.edu zone,
you make it sound like your relying on one Linux box for this,
if so add a slave.