CNAME for main domain

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Nov 28 05:52:01 UTC 2002

> > > True. TBL invented HTTP around 1989-1990. People were starting
> > > to use the www convention for HTTP servers in 1993-1994. Before
> > > that people just put up servers on any machine and referenced that.
> > > It was years after that that people start to add A records to the
> > > apex of the domain so that people didn't have to type in the www
> > > part. I don't think it was common to do so before that.
> > >
> > > Danny
> > >

> >         A records at the apex of the zone were common to handle non
> >         MX aware MTA's.  People just stopped accommodating broken
> >         MTA's.
>
> Interesting.
>
> Back in 1997 the Island of Anguilla set up a Web server resulting in
> the shortest URL in existence:     http://ai/
> It's no longer there, but I still have the mail message about it dated
> March, 1997.
>
> Danny

	And it was unreachable from all sites that had machines
	named ai.   Just because some resolvers try a single label
	name as is doesn't mean that it is correct.  libbind has
	switches to turn this off.  Absolute single label hostnames
	are not supported (though they may work on some occasions).
	That is why every host was initially placed in the ARPA
	domain.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org