WARNING SOA expire value is less than 7 days

Tim Maestas tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Wed Nov 27 03:39:09 UTC 2002

First, you are using a woefully old version of BIND that has quite a few
known security holes.  Upgrade immediately.

To answer your question, it means exactly what it says.  The expire value
in your SOA record is less than 7 days.  This means if you had a zone on a
slave server that lost connectivity to it's master, the zone would expire
in whatever you have set for the expire value.  General convention is to
set the expire value to a week or greater.

-Tim