problem uninstalling BIND on Windows-NT; clash with Microsoft DNS server

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Nov 26 02:53:03 UTC 2002

At 11:58 AM 11/25/02, you wrote:

>I have to install the Microsoft DNS server on a particular PC.
>However, when in Control Panel > Network > Services I press "Add"
>and get the list of new services, Microsoft DNS Server is *not* listed.

This has nothing to do with BIND. How Microsoft's DNS is installed
is a question for a Microsoft newsgroup.

>This PC had ISC's BIND 9.2.0 installed, and I suspect that is the
>cause.

It's unrelated. BIND's service is identified as "ISC BIND" and is listed
under the named key subtree within Services in the registry. MS's
DNS will be listed differently.

>   After a few problems, I eventually installed BIND.  However,
>=A3Microsoft DNS Server" is still not shown in the list of services
>that can be installed (after countless reboots, deleting/reinstalling
>TCP/IP, etc.)  (Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6)

You lost me. If you install BIND you are not installing Microsoft's DNS.
Why would you expect to see Microsoft DNS Server after that? If you
wish to uninstall BIND run the BINDInstall application and select the
Uninstall button. You can have both BIND and MS's DNS installed
at the same time. Just don't try to run them at the same time. Note
that Microsoft does not support NT 4.0 DNS and it's known to be very
buggy.

Danny