Differences in how browsers resolve names

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Nov 25 14:03:28 UTC 2002

At 12:51 AM 11/25/02, Ben Keepper wrote:
>Danny,
>
>Not sure if I should have taken your:
>
>@ IN A 66.237.32.36
>
>literally, as the interface I am using to manage my DNS (Webmin), did
>not like the argument @ as a record name.

That's a bug in Webmin. I was giving you standard records. How the
editor of your choice handles them is not part of the question.

>Also,
>
>when you say update the serial number, what does that mean?  I am
>familiar with reloading the zone, but never paid attention to the zone
>serial number changing.
>
>Does that happen automatically, or do I need to manually edit the serial
>number.

It appears that Webmin is doing it for you. Having a nice interface hiding
details can get in the way of understanding how things work when you
can't use the interface or having to make major changes to the data.

Danny