IP-only NS record

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Nov 24 15:42:15 UTC 2002

At 02:32 PM 11/23/02, J wrote:

>Howdy all.  I have a quick question for a problem someone just created
>for me.  One of my boxes just had a second A added to it for a private
>IP it uses for some things on campus.  Now anyone that attempts to
>resolve my host has a 50 50 chance of getting the private address.  I
>have control of the net subdomain on campus.  The 2 campus name servers
>have
>
>net                     1D IN NS        noc.net
>noc.net                 1D IN A         172.30.224.49
>                          1D IN A         aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
>
>My question is can the NS record be an IP so as to eliminate all A
>records they have for me?  Their NS servers are responding with
>authority for noc.net.domain.tld with the wrong information.  This means
>mail has a 50 50 chance of failing (since the net.domain.tld NS can't be
>resolved), web requests have a 50 50 failure rate, etc...  Is an IP only
>NS acceptable?  It seems like I've done it before.  If it had just been
>left it alone...

No, you need to remove the invalid address, update the SOA serial
number and reload. It will take the same time to do this as changing
the NS record. If a server doesn't have the address in the first place
it will ask the parent zone which has the glue record and that will
get used first. As long as the parents delegation records haven't been
touched you should be okay for most people. For those who already
have the NS records in cache, you will have to wait for them to expire
out of cache anyway.

Danny