IN SRV (was multiple cnames)

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Nov 24 03:39:31 UTC 2002

At 07:33 PM 11/22/02, Jam wrote:
>I wish I could help but I just found this:
>http://www.globecom.net/ietf/draft/draft-andrews-http-srv-01.html
>and I have a few different questions on this thread since the subject of
>this thread includes SRV.
>
>I will try to make this short.
>
>MY ISP IS BLOCKING PORT 80 - I WISH TO RUN MY DOMAINS ON ANOTHER :[PORT]

They have good reason to do so since it could generate a lot of traffic
and you are not paying them for that. Pay them and they will open it up.

>I RUN APACHE WITH 12 <VIRTUAL HOST>
>WWW.MYDOMAIN.COM Web Forward "Stealth" works for only my default Vitrual
>Server. All other servers are
>ignored by apache, since mydomain uses [Frames] and no HTTP_HEADER is sent
>directly to my Apache.

Frames have nothing to do with this and the HTTP_HEADER is ALWAYS sent.
What do you mean by directly?

>MY OS IS WINDOWS XP PRO

Irrelevant. It depends on how you configure Apache or IIS or whatever.

>So, taken into account of my setup above, I'm thinking about installing BIND
>9.x.x latest release for windows and
>installing CYGWIN so that I can have an API to Unix/Linux calls, So I can
>run and manage a DNS server
>throught a GUI program called webmin located at www.webmin.com . If all goes
>well with installing BIND and CYGWIN
>and WEBMIN on my XP Box, My questions are these:
>
>1.) Does the latest BIND incorperate SRV records?

Yes.

>2.) If so, what other records are required for SRV to function properly?
>(SOA,A,CNAME,MX etc..)?

Yes.

>3.) Is it possible to do this within the SRV record:
>

>URI:     http://domain.com/
>          SRV RR:  _http._tcp.domain.com. SRV   10 0 8080 BOX1.domain.com.
>          A RRs:   domain.com.            A     10.0.0.2
>                   BOX1.domain.com.      A     10.0.1.1
>
>       Connect to:  10.0.1.1 port 8080
>
>       Multiple SRV records:
>
>          URI:      http://domain.com/
>          SRV RRs: _http._tcp.domain.com. SRV   10 1 8080 BOX1.domain.com.
>                          _http._tcp.domain.com. SRV   10 3 8081
>BOX2.domain.com.
>                          _http._tcp.domain.com. SRV   20 0 8082
>BOX3.domain.com.
>          A RRs:    domain.com.            A     10.0.0.4
>                    BOX1.domain.com.      A     10.0.1.2
>                    BOX2.domain.com.      A     10.0.2.2
>                    BOX3.domain.com.      AAAA  1082::8:800:200C:417A

Yes.

>Notice I have specified different ports for different BOXES.
>
>Now, I dont know much at all about bind except the fact of what records are
>used forwhat purposes.
>I have the foggest idea on how to setup SRV records. And all I really want
>to do is have Apache Listen in on
>another port besides _default:80 .

You can, but what you need are Web browsers that will look at SRV
records. None do as of yet.

>Any comments, suggestions, recomendations would be helpfull. Oh if anyone
>knows of a KickASS GUI
>to manage bind, either C+, C++, perl, http, etc.. doesn' matter, I just dont
>want to have to edit all my records
>by hand. I'm not lazy its just my time is very very limited.

None of this will help you since it's the browsers that need to support SRV.
All of this work is for nothing without that. DNS can hand out records until
the cows come home, but it doesn't care what the requestor does with
them.

You are better off getting your ISP involved and pay whatever it takes
to allow you to run Webservers. They WILL know what you are doing
even if this scheme does work. The traffic will be noticable. The only
stupid ISP's are no longer in business. You should also look at your
agreement with them. I doubt that you are allowed to do what are
talking about doing.

Danny