Logging both debug & syslog to a file!

Shanmugam Palaniappan shanmu at comneti.com
Fri Nov 22 03:53:09 UTC 2002

All,
    I am running BIND 8.3.4 on solaris 8 under chroot() environment.
  I could configure syslogd also to write to /var/adm/messages for
  syslog messages but the general suggestion for solaris OS is not
  to use syslog daemon instead use a file to log syslog messages.

    So I am trying to setup the logging statement to log both syslog
  and debug messages to a file "named.log". The following is the logging
  statement in my named.conf file.

  logging {
	channel my_file {
		file "named.log" size 1M;
		severity dynamic;
		print-category yes;
		print-severity yes;
		print-time yes;
	};

	category config { my_file; };
	category queries { my_file; };
	category update { my_file; };
	category xfer-out { my_file; };
	category notify { my_file; };

	category default { my_file; };
   };

   The above default category statement will allow to log syslog messages
   to the file only when debugging is turned on but we don't see the
   initial syslog messages when the named process starts like
		"starting (etc/named.conf). named 8.3.4 -REL Thu Nov.."
   Also you may not catch any errors in processing the config file..
   I did add the debug level instead of dynamic to the channel my_file
   but this leaves the debug running always. ndc notrace does not
   deactivate traces in this case. I don't want the traces always
   which might flood the log file.

   Can anyone suggest a better alternative?

Regards,

Shan