Question on Slave restart reading of zone files

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 21 20:23:51 UTC 2002

Ted Hajduk wrote:

> Thanks to the entire community for answering my last question and to
> Cricket for pointing out the precedence of forwarding over delegation.
>
> If a slave has a data file (backup) of the zone it originally loaded
> from the primary master, and then the slave is restarted, will it
> read/process the entire zone file into memory before it checks to see
> if the zone file is current?  Or will it read the SOA record for the
> zone, use that to check with the primary master, and then either load
> from data file or do a zone transfer?

Well, I haven't looked at the code specifically, but it only makes sense
that it would read and parse the entire file first. After all, it needs
to make sure the file is syntactically correct before it trusts anything
in it, e.g. what if it finds a *second*, illegal SOA record further into
the file? Which of the two SOAs would it trust?

- Kevin