modifying primary DNS ip adress

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 21 01:18:58 UTC 2002

Alf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm still a newbie about DNS.
> We have a primary DNS server.
> We would like to change the public IP adress of the server. How can I do
> that? To change A field of DNS server in the zone file is enough?
> If no, what are the steps to follow?

Is this nameserver serving a domain that contains its own name, e.g.
ns.foo.fr serving the foo.fr domain? If so, then you need to update the
delegations that are contained in the parent domain (.fr). For gTLDs we
would do this by going through whatever registrar we originally registered
the domain through; I'm not sure what the equivalent procedure is for .fr
domains...

- Kevin