startup/load time for bind too long

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Nov 20 18:54:06 UTC 2002

Gary <gary at cryotechnica.com> wrote:

> Hi all

> We have a nameserver with a hundred thousand domains and the load time
> with bind on startup is about 15minutes.. this is very long.

> Is it possible to reduce the load time with bind?

> All our domains point to the one zonefile as they all go back to our
> main site... so I'm suprised there is still such a long delay loading.

> Any help would be extremely appreciated

Several thing might be done :

1/ make your master "hidden" and convert your current master a slave
of that hidden master.

2/ use bind-9 and a multi-cpu box

3/ add a "caching-only" server and have your clients use that

4/ make shure you have enough muscles and memory in your nameservers.

--
Peter Håkanson