Difficult debug (long-ish)

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 14:09:10 UTC 2002

"Steven L. Sesar" wrote:

> The other strange behavior we see is that when
> querying dns1.onlinaccesscards.com for itself, it fails, ie:
>
> dig @dns1.onlinaccesscards.com dns1.onlinaccesscards.com

This is the crux of the problem.

First time through you pick up the GLUE record giving you an A
record for DNS1.

When it expires, the requests for an A record for dns1 will fail
to get a valid answer, getting a non-authoritative response from
gtld-servers.

The quick fix is to put dns1 back in the relevant zone file.
Although absence of dns2 will make the zone less reliable, I
don't believe you need a network outage to dns1 to make the
onlineaccesscards.com domain inaccessible to BIND 9 users as
Kevin suggests, it is broken by design ;-(

BIND 8 is happier to restart failed queries, and will end up
getting the right answer for the wrong reasons (for some
definition of "right") in this instance I believe.