patches on BIND

Ed Schmollinger schmolli at frozencrow.org
Tue Nov 19 16:02:50 UTC 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 08:06:56PM +0000, phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:
> On some systems ( where need to backout is critical) i have resorted=20
> to installing files with version number appended, creating links
> to the "vanilla names, that way the old binaries is just a "mv" away.

We do something similar.  The install root for bind is
/usr/local/bind-VERSION, /usr/local/bind is a symlink that points at
whichever of our bind-VERSION directories is the current one, and
everything else refers to things in terms of that generic directory.

$ ls -ld /usr/local/bind* /usr/local/bin/dig
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    other      15 Aug  6 11:42 /usr/local/bin/dig -> ../bind/bin/dig*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    other      10 Aug  6 11:42 /usr/local/bind -> bind-9.2.1/
drwxr-xr-x  7 root    other     512 Jul 26 11:42 /usr/local/bind-9.2.1/

This lets you install on all your machines (well, if the binaries are
compat) from a single tarball without having to worry about whether the
machine will let you overwrite a file that is currently open, destroying
your backout path, etc.  Since you can change the active version by
changing the /usr/local/bind symlink, patches and backouts can happen
pretty quickly.

Ed Schmollinger - schmolli at frozencrow.org