DNS Problem: Help!

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Nov 19 04:20:10 UTC 2002

At 06:05 AM 11/18/02, Simon Waters wrote:

>Danny Mayer wrote:
> > I had no problem. It looks right to me:
> > H:\bind930bin>dig 131.57.24.in-addr.arpa any
>
>Try querying for something that can't be answered by the
>in-addr.arpa servers, like SOA, rather than ANY.

You're right, I should have used NS. Interesting enough a lookup like this:
 >dig 131.57.24.in-addr.arpa SOA +trace
shows it going back and forth between ns.cgocable.net and ns1.cgocable.net
until it finally fails with a "too many lookups error." Both ns and ns1 return
a SERVFAIL when requesting the SOA record and for that matter the PTR
record for 1.131.57.24.in-addr.arpa. These servers are in bad shape.

Danny