Variation on the reset serial theme

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 17:00:22 UTC 2002

James Wilde wrote:

> Problem is that I accidentally used CCYYMMDD###

If you are happy with the normal serial number correction, just
query the servers for the SOA, as that should be the correct
mapping from the number you gave into the range it should be,
and is thus the first number to start with.

I had to do this repeatedly somewhere that had used exactly that
scheme before they could upgrade to 9 zzZZzzZZ. Look in the
archive for serial.c for the arithmetically challenged, but this
only works with numbers in range I think.

Is that CCYY or YYYY? As I know at least one encoding scheme
that came unraveled last century when someone interpretted CC as
century and programmed it as 2095, when the continental authors
of similar software read it as a four digit year and coded 1995
;-)