How to set the Slave DNS Server ?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Nov 18 16:11:14 UTC 2002

Kevin Chan <kevinchan at trasy.com> wrote:

> Hi all,

> I am a newbie on BIND and I am using BIND 8.   I was successful to setup a
> Primary DNS Server on my domain but I don't know how to set the Slave DNS
> Server.

> 1. What files I need to change on Primary DNS Server ?

None ( unless you have restricted zone-transfers)

> 2. Do I need to copy the /etc/named.conf and all zone file from Primary DNS
> Server to Slave DNS Server ?

You need to create a named.conf unique for the slave in question.
The zonefiles will be pulled down by the slave.

> 3. Does any good web-site or document have show an example to setup BIND ?

The "doc" tarkit includes documentation. An excerpt may be
read at "http://www.ipsec.nu/dns/index.html"

However your should get the book "Managing DNS and BIND" 4-th ed
from o'reilly. It will save you many hours of experimenting.

--
Peter Håkanson