Problem with forward zone

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 14 22:40:48 UTC 2002

"Amine ." wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'm trying to configure a forward zone on bind version
> 8.2.3-REL.
>
> This is what i have on named.conf :
>
> zone "test.mynetwork" {
>         type forward;
>         forward only;
>         forwarders {
>                 192.168.1.100 ;
>         };
>         check-names ignore;
>         };
>
> The problem is that when i make a request, this is the
> answer that i get :
>
> HEADER:
>         opcode = QUERY, id = 25520, rcode = NXDOMAIN
>         header flags:  response, auth. answer, want
> recursion, recursion
> avail.
>         questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority
> records = 1,  additional =
> 0
>
>     QUESTIONS:
>         machine1.test.mynetwork, type = A, class = IN
>     AUTHORITY RECORDS:
>     ->  mynetwork
>         ttl = 172800 (2D)
>         origin = dns.network.mynetwork
>         mail addr = hostmaster.dns.network.mynetwork
>         serial = 2002111304
>         refresh = 21600 (6H)
>         retry   = 3600 (1H)
>         expire  = 3600000 (5w6d16h)
>         minimum ttl = 172800 (2D)
>
> I know that with forward only it checks locally before
> it forwards to the other server. I don't see any
> problem with the configuration now, just it doesn't
> work.
>
> I have made requests on the server 192.168.1.100, and
> it worked properly.
>
> Have someone got an idea ? This is quite urgent.

Did you add that record within the last couple of days? The "negative
caching TTL" (last field of the SOA record) for this zone is set to 2
days, so that's how long your nameserver will remember that a name
doesn't exist. You can cause your nameserver to "forget" that the name
doesn't exist by reloading or restarting it.

You might also want to consider lowering the negative caching TTL on
your zone.

- Kevin