[weird] Re: rpm install with "--disable-threads" for 9.2.1x ??

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Thu Nov 14 19:21:46 UTC 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:56:55PM -0500, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> need to re-build or validate or upgrade or ...  You appear to have
> chosen "the system's native package format" for that - although Linux
> has many such, not just RPMs.  This can lead to a multitude of stored
> formats, though.  My choice for the middle step was to document it all
> in a common fashion for all different systems.

Ah. I know very little of linux, and virtually nothing outside of the
redhat/rpm world. So I should have said "I'd have build RPMs too, if I
were a RedHat admin." ;)

And of course I didn't mean to downplay the importance of documenting
what gets done to systems- not by a long shot. But one of the nice
things about most native package systems is that they are, or can be
made to be, self-documenting. Nobody likes documenting systems; sooner
or later even the most rigorously maintained log books develop gaps. But
we're drifting pretty far off-topic here :)

> > For those of us who primarily do solaris, I can't say enough good things
> > about http://www.bpfh.net/computing/software/pkg-tools/ for creating
> > solaris packages out of traditional 'make install' based routines.
>
> Thanks for the link!

NP. It's great, great stuff, and has been responsible for me building
packages for *everything* now, including vendorware that comes with its
own install routines. I've not yet built an Oracle package, but it's
probably looming in the near future :) Simes is to be commended.