How to set the Slave DNS Server ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 14 16:28:56 UTC 2002

Kevin Chan wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> After I change the setting as below, the Secondary DNS Server seem like
> doesn't work as secondary.  Because after I add the new server IP on "zone
> name" and "zone IP" files in Primary DNS Server for 3 hours, the Secondary
> DNS Server is haven't update the record.
>
> Can anyone show / help me to solve this problem ?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Kevin Chan
>
> > Kevin Chan Wrote:
> >

> > Hi Kevin and all,
> >
> > 1. Where I can find the ARM in the BIND 9 distribution ?  Can you tell me
> > the web address ?
> >
> > 2. Now I copy all the zone IP and file from Primary DNS to Secondary DNS
> > Server.  Also, I copy the named.conf from Primary DNS to Secondary DNS
> > Server and change all the "type master" zone
> > definitions into "type slave" zone definitions, add the "allow-transfer
> > {XXX.XXX.XXX.58;};"
> >  to Primary DNS Server and add the "masters {XXX.XXX.XXX.57;};" to each
> > zone.  My NS1 and NS2's named.conf setting as below:
> >
> > p.s. NS1 IP - XXX.XXX.XXX.57 & NS2 IP - XXX.XXX.XXX.58

> > (NS1)
> >
> > // generated by named-bootconf.pl
> >
> > options {
> >         directory "/var/named";
> >         allow-transfer {XXX.XXX.XXX.58;};
> >         /*
> >          * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
> >          * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
> >          * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
> >          * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
> >          * port by default.
> >          */
> >         // query-source address * port 53;
> > };
> >
> > //
> > // a caching only nameserver config
> > //
> > controls {
> >         inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
> > };
> > zone "." IN {
> >         type hint;
> >         file "named.ca";
> > };
> >
> > zone "localhost" IN {
> >         type master;
> >         file "localhost.zone";
> >         allow-update { none; };
> > };
> >
> > zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
> >         type master;
> >         file "named.local";
> > };
> >
> > zone "XXX.XXX.XXX.in-addr.arpa" {
> >         type master;
> >         file "XXX.XXX.XXX";
> > };
> >
> > zone "kevin.com" {
> >         type master;
> >         file "kevin.com";
> > };
> >
> > include "/etc/rndc.key";

> > (NS2)
> >
> > // generated by named-bootconf.pl
> >
> > options {
> >         directory "/var/named";
> > /*
> [...]

You forgot to change the zone type for the "kevin.com" zone.

The XXX.XXX.XXX.in-addr.arpa zone should be slaving properly, though. Isn't
it? If it isn't, check the logs for errors (in fact, if you had checked the
logs for errors, you should have noticed that "kevin.com" wasn't loading
properly; scrupulously checking the logs is a good habit to get into).

- Kevin