WKS records

Mike Diggins diggins at McMaster.CA
Thu Nov 14 02:55:30 UTC 2002

I attempted an upgrade from Bind 8.2.4 to 9.2.1 this morning but ran into
a problem with some WKS records. We have a few incorrect ones that Bind 8
was happy to ignore but 9 refuses to load that zone with the error. I can
fix the obvious problems but will have to update our Web Application to
prevent someone from entering invalid WKS data which would prevent the
zone from loading! Until I can get that done, is there a setting that will
allow BIND 9 to load the zone despite those errors?

Also, are the WKS records at all important these days? They seem to go
against common security sense advertising your services that way? Perhaps
I should just dump them altogether?

-Mike