Is Bind still broken?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Nov 13 22:30:51 UTC 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 04:04:07PM -0800, Rick N. wrote:
> Some time ago I switched to UltraDNS because someone told me that BIND
> was broken... EG: https://www.ultradns.com/news/0314b.html
>
> Is BIND still broken?
>
> - Rick

If you made an engineering decision based on this piece of sales
deception, you were very lucky that at least you switched to a product
that is almost as reliable as BIND.  Maybe it is, anyway.  Who can
tell, if the software is completely hidden?  If you make any other
engineering decisions based on lightweight nonsense like this, you will
soon not be in a position to make decisions like this, I would suspect.

For instance:  "'DNS Lookup Failure' was second only to 'Connection
Timed Out' as the cause of connection errors in the study."  Well, duh.
How many people try to look up "www.aol.cog" and get ... yes ... a DNS
Lookup Failure!  How horrible is that?  How many times do people try to
get to DNS or Web servers that are just plain down?

Most of what UltraDNS seems to be selling is their managed DNS service,
so that you can "trust" the machines which they themselves manage.
This may simplify your DNS configuration; which would in turn make it
easier ... for YOU.  But the complexity is still there.  You just don't
see it; you pay someone else to see it.

As many have said, if BIND were ever "broken", we would not have an
Internet.

BIND is the official reference implementation of DNS for the Internet.
If UltraDNS folks thought they had a better way that is scalable
outside of one, tightly managed set of systems, they should have
proposed a new RFC.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B