Question on delegation and recursion

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Nov 13 20:59:58 UTC 2002

Ted Hajduk wrote:
> Long time reader and 1st time poster - please be gentle.
>
> I'm trying to understand the following internal DNS scenario and I
> could use some help.
>
> Three DNS servers - all are doing recursion
>
> 1) DNS1 is primary master for zone B.C and has delegated zone A.B.C to
> DNS2 (but it is not a slave for A.B.C - so no zone xfer)
>
> 2) DNS2 is primary master for zone A.B.C
>
> 3) DNS3 is slave for zone B.C only - and therefore gets a zone xfer
> from DNS1 for B.C
>
> Question: If a user sends a DNS request for A.B.C to DNS3, will it be
> resolved?

Yes, as long as DNS3 isn't configured to use a forwarder.  (Forwarding
overrides delegation on a BIND name server, unless you override the
forwarders.)

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/