Persistent cache

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Mon Nov 11 20:35:30 UTC 2002

Pete Ehlke wrote:
> So the 'perfectly legal and existing hosts' would seem to be mostly
> hosts that only exist in made-up, unofficial TLDs that don't exist in
> '.'. The agenda here looks to be more about subverting '.' than about
> actual performance. If I were writing a name server for home use that
> came configured out of the box to support every flaky, hare-braned
> 'alternative TLD' on the planet, I'd be tempted to save the cache
> between invocations too. Some of those things have some mighty dodgy
> servers themselves.

Here a quote I found instructive, from an interview with Eugene
Kashpureff on Afternic.com:

"Yes, some of those machines you saw stacked up in the bedroom
were Alternic root name servers."

Of course, I used to have a root name server in my bedroom, too,
but I got rid of it because I needed the closet space.  :-)

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/