authorative for .

Ed Schmollinger schmolli at frozencrow.org
Mon Nov 11 15:05:04 UTC 2002

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 10:55:31PM -0800, Gary wrote:
> I want to return an answer for any domain thrown at our nameserver
> except those that our company does not own...
>
> The current set up we have is rather large, we have tons of domains
> and they are controlled via one huge text-based dbase and some perl
> scripts to generate the zone files.. this is very slow and is a pain
> in the ass for small updates etc.
>
> My manager has asked me to find a solution to return an answer for
> every domain queries that we own, but not be authorative for .
>
> I cannot see anyway other than maintaining a list of domains we own
> and comparing against queries etc.
>
> What is everyones thoughts?

I'm unclear on why you wouldn't have a list of domains you own.  You
have to have this list at some point, right?  The following assumes that
you have a list, but you don't want to add them to your text dbase for
some reason.

If you don't care what answer is returned, or if it is ok to return the
same thing for all of them, then you should just be able to load all of
those zones from a dummy file, something like this:

--- CUT HERE ---
$TTL 86400

@	IN	SOA ns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. ( 1 10800 3600 604800 3600 )
	IN NS ns1.example.com.
	IN NS ns2.example.com.
	IN	MX	10 mail1.example.com.
	IN	MX	10 mail2.example.com.
; If you have a web farm that does virtual hosts, you probably want to
; point this A record at that instead of localhost
;	IN	A	127.0.0.1
--- CUT HERE ---

Then you can just point all of your miscellaneous zones at that.  In
named.conf:

--- CUT HERE ---
zone "misczone1.com" {
	type master;
	file "/etc/db.misc-zones";
};
zone "misczone2.com" {
	type master;
	file "/etc/db.misc-zones";
};
# etc ...
--- CUT HERE ---

where "/etc/db.misc-zones" is your dummy zone file.  It may be easier on
you to keep those entries in some other file (eg, named.conf.misc) and
just include that file in named.conf via an include statement.

Ed Schmollinger - schmolli at frozencrow.org